A Thought To Ponder:

" A NATION'S GREATNESS IS MEASURED BY HOW IT TREATS ITS WEAKEST MEMBERS"



Sunday, June 30, 2013

Time Well Spent

When I think about my journey of earning my master's degree in ECE, the first thing that comes to mind is community.  I can describe the wonderful community of peers, instructors and resources that I have grown to embrace and learn upon for ongoing support throughout my journey.




 First, I have learned the power of exploring and researching resources.  Throughout this journey, my resource library has more than tripled.  This has allowed me with ongoing access to reliable resources that are within the field of early childhood education.  Having knowledge and access to these resources has increased my effectiveness in being a leader, supervision, developing grants, grant writing and remaining abreast the latest trends and issues in ECE.


Second, I have learned the struggles of undocumented families.  The struggle, in particular, would be the challenge of sustaining parental rights during deportment.  Many undocumented parents, each year, lose parental rights while being deported from USA.  Communication with social services is poor and many undocumented families end up missing court hearings, due to not being notified properly by social services, which leads to their loss in parental rights.

Third, and probably the most important, I learned to believe in me!  I learned that I could accomplish a graduate degree in ECE.  It was hard.  I faced many challenges throughout my journey, but I remained on course and did not stop.  That alone...is priceless to me.  I am so happy to see this day come!!!

My long-term goal is to pursue a PhD in Human Services.  After the birth of my upcoming baby in September (yay!), I want to get back in the ball game of higher learning and get my ducks in a row to begin a PhD program in the Winter of 2014.  I hope to go into Higher Education as an Instructor, full-time, while pursuing my PhD online.  I have almost 20 years in ECE and I would like to share my experiences, positive and negative, with young students who are embarking on their own professional journeys!

To my instructors (all of you I have met throughout this journey) and my peers, THANK YOU!  I will not say farewell, as I believe it is quite possible for our paths to cross one day in the future! THANK YOU for your support, THANK YOU for challenging me, challenging my thoughts and pushing me to think outside of the box.  I will miss my community of support!


Please keep in touch:  Roikensha Craig - roikenshacraig@yahoo.com.. REMEMBER:  As ECE professionals, it is our responsibility to advocate on behalf of children, families and other important issues that have a direct impact on children and families.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your little one. I understand obstacles that may come your way and it is great that you were able to stay on task.

    Like you, I have really found myself researching a lot more on my own as this course and prior courses have helped me with this.

    Thank you for sharing your comments and post. I wish you much success as you pursue your PhD in Human Services.

    ReplyDelete